Welcome...

Hi all - Welcome to my page - Hopefully you will get as much out of reading these as I got from writing them

About Me

My photo
Saylorsburg , PA, United States
42 year old, CF - Received double lung transplant on March 6, 2013. Received single lung transplant on March 1, 2017

Monday, March 7, 2011

Moving Right Along...

So it's been 1 month exactly since my last blog and man oh man what a month! 

I managed to sort out the financial issues that I was having, as you remember from my last blog having no STD or LTD (short/long term disability - NOT sexually transmitted disease) was making it difficult for me to be added to the UNOS list.  After a combination of following suggestions and doing a boatload of research everything now seems to be in order.  I am officially resigning from my job, my last day is going to be April 29th, this brings both good and bad feelings, I am glad because I really have been feeling too sick to work and I need to relax and focus on my health, bad because I have been with my employer for nearly 11 years.  I started when I was a mere 22 year old, that sounds like light years ago, pretty much almost my entire adult life has been spent here.  I have made the world's greatest friends (you all know who I am talking about), have found 2 husbands (one straight and one gay who wears really tight pants I might add) and have went through so much growth and change but like everything else the chapter has to eventually end.  So with Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You lightly playing in the background (bittersweet memories, that is all I'm taking with  me-eeee-eeeeee-eeeeee) I try and look forward without looking back too much and will have my final good-bye to said company in 8 weeks.

As I will no longer be employed this lets me apply for SSD (social security disability), one of the WONDERFULLY helpful people that I have met on this road has told me that with my health status and lung functions that it should take anywhere from 2-5 months for me to be approved, once approved I will have monthly income and therefore (drum roll please) can be added to the UNOS list - victory victory let's repeat it!!  I am expecting a nice fat commission check in April and this will get us through financially until the SSD kicks in, then life goes on as we know it and I wait, it will be nice to just sit back and wait when the time comes, have friends over, chill out and catch up on TV shows and movies and write my BOOK, there has even been mention of a retirement party which would be awesome to have at 33 years of age.  Just in time for spring as well, SWEET!!!  I am looking forward to spending a lot more time with my brother, sister, 6 month old (as of today) nephew, and other family and friends that have got me through one of the most difficult times in my life.  The rage and anger that I once felt turned into persistence which has now become gratitude.  Although having CF is not the best thing that can happen to a person I would not change it for the world, I have learned so much through this journey called life, it has formed me into the person that I am today and she rocks :)

So onto part 2 - I hadn't been feeling well so a couple of weeks ago I called my CF doctor's office and told them, they said to come into the clinic the next day and pack a bag just in case.  I did and was admitted, there were ups and downs, I was going to go into detail about them but maybe I will save that for another day, the point seem to be moot (?) now.  Due to the crappy ass veins that I have and them being used for 33 years I got a portacath on this visit, it has been 1 week today since I got it and I am finally starting to feel better and have a lot less pain.  I was discharged from the hospital this past Thursday (I spent about 10 days there) and am now on home IV, my follow up with the brilliant Dr. S is on March 15th, I am so looking forward to it, I can't wait for the port needle to be taken out and then I can actually shower again and not take sponge baths as glamorous as they are. 

Well gotta run, the home nurse will be here within the hour to change my needle and my dressing, thanks to everyone for visiting and cheering me up while I was there and since I've been home.  You all rock my world in ways you will never know. 

Later dudes,
Bet

No comments:

Post a Comment